Department of Psychology Convocation 2018
May 11, 2018 @ 4:00 pm
Location: Johnson Center
The Department of Psychology convocation ceremony will be held at the University of New Mexico’s Johnson Center (no. 59 on the campus map: http://pats.unm.edu/maps/ ).
To participate, please fill out the student sign-up form at: https://graduation.unm.edu.
Keynote Speaker: Barbara McCrady, Distinguished Professor
Psychology Honor’s Student Greeting To Be Announced
Department Convocation Schedule:
- 2:30-3:30-Ceremony participants sign in at check in table located in the Auxiliary gym.
- 2:30-Johnson Center Gymnasium opens for guest seating (food and drink are not allowed in the gymnasium)
- 3:45-Ceremony participants must be lined up for academic procession
- 4:00-Ceremony will begin promptly with the commencement procession
- A faculty hosted reception will be held immediately following the ceremony.
Students who are eligible to participate in the Department Convocation are:
- Those who have completed degree requirements for Fall 2017.
- Those who complete degree requirements by the end of Spring 2018.
- Undergraduate students who lack no more than six credit hours to be completed Summer 2018 and verified by an advisor. Please note, the names of these students ARE NOT published in the program.
- Graduate students that defend their dissertation by May 11, 2018 and are on the department's summer 2018 graduation list (verified by Rikk).
How to sign up:
- To participate, you must sign-up online: https://graduation.unm.edu.
- Special needs requirements for themselves or their guests should be requested by the graduating student when signing up to participate.
IMPORTANT Participation in the commencement ceremony is not a guarantee or an indication of degree completion. To officially graduate from UNM students must satisfy all university, school, college, and departmental requirements for the specific degree. Students should meet with an advisor to ensure that they are on track to graduate.
- Undergraduate students: Contact a psychology undergraduate advisor: Jennifer Serrano, or Azure Leyba: firstname.lastname@example.org; http://psych.unm.edu/undergraduate/advisement.html
- Graduate students: contact Rikk Murphy, 277-5009, email@example.com
Academic Regalia (Cap & Gown):
- All ceremony participants must wear academic regalia available for purchase at the UNM Bookstore.
- Bachelor's degree candidates wear RED gowns and red cap with tassel.
- Master’s degree candidates wear BLACK gowns, black caps with tassel, and appropriate hood.
- Ph.D. degree candidates wear BLACK AND RED gowns, black caps with tassel, and appropriate hood.
- Honor chords: the department will only supply honor chords for students in the Psychology Honors Program. For general University Honors (Summa, Magna, Cum Laude), you may purchase your chords from the bookstore. For other honors, please contact the association or chapter you are receiving honors from for more information.
- Graduates will be assembled in the Auxiliary gym.
- Graduates must be signed in and in line-up no later than 3:30 pm.
- Instructions will be given to you on site.
- You will be given a name card at the sign-in table; do not lose your card.
- You will present this card to the person reading names as you walk on stage.
- If you are graduating with Department Honors, your level of honors will be printed on your name card.
- Department Honors graduates will be grouped together in the procession line.
- Although the department will make every attempt to recognize all levels of Honors, we cannot guarantee that University Honors levels will be available to the department by the time of the ceremony and we therefore cannot guarantee that it will be in the program, nor on your name card.
- Graduate students will be grouped and seated together and given special instructions on-site for the hooding ceremony.
- Students participating in the ceremony should arrive by 3:00 pm and must be check in and in the Auxiliary gym no later than 3:30 pm.
- Please ask your guests to arrive early. Parking is limited and seating is first come, first serve!
- You and your guests should plan to arrive early to allow time to park. There will be more than one graduation event on campus at that time, and traffic and parking will be very congested.
- Be sure to review UNM Parking and Transportation rules and regulations. You should also provide a map to your guests. They are available online: http://pats.unm.edu/maps/
- Flowers will be available for purchase at the venue.
- There will not be a rehearsal. Instructions will be given on site.
- Degree candidates will process across the stage and be recognized individually by the department chair.
- You will NOT receive your diploma at the UNM Commencement Ceremony or at the department’s convocation ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed to you at a later date.
- The Records Office will print your name on your diploma as it exists on their records and will mail it to the mailing address you have on file. This information can be reviewed and updated via my.unm.edu Demographic Self Service (DSS).
- Students cannot graduate with non-recorded grades or Incompletes, so be sure to check your online transcript via LoboWeb to ensure your grades have been posted at the end of the semester.
- Department Chair’s Letter: Convocation Letter
- UNM Graduation Web Site: http://graduation.unm.edu/
- Regalia: http://graduation.unm.edu/capgown.html
- University Honors: https://sac.unm.edu/awards-and-honors.html#ba
- UNM Bookstore Graduation Web Site: http://bookstore.unm.edu/c-209-graduation.aspx
- UNM Parking Services: http://pats.unm.edu/maps/
- UNM Campus Map: http://iss.unm.edu/PCD/campus-map.html
- Demographic Information: http://dss.unm.edu/
- Psychology Department Convocation Coordinators: