Jane Ellen Smith
- (505) 277-2650
- Logan Hall Rm 178
- Ph.D., State University of New York at Binghamton, 1985
- Determining why ethnic minority women prematurely drop out of weight management treatment, and how to address this dilemma. We have learned that two factors in particular lead to early termination: extremely poor body image and "familism" (family comes first). We ran focus groups to follow up on these issues, and we are beginning to design a study that will incorporate the implicated changes in a modified weight management intervention.
- Examining the factors in a mother-daughter relationship that appear to serve a protective role against poor body image and disturbed eating in the daughter.
- Exploring the use of standard eating disorder measures (EAT, EDE-Q, EDI) in ethnic minority populations, and examining whether these measures (which were developed many years ago in some cases) are still valid with Caucasian populations today.
- Exploring "healthy eating" and "dieting": what exactly do these mean to college students?
- Examining an online abbreviated version of a behavioral program, the Community Reinforcement Approach (CRA) with college students in an effort to see if they can add enjoyable, healthy activities to their week that compete with substance use.
- Determining whether a therapist's competence (skill) in delivering CRA affects the client's outcome in a substance abuse treatment program.
- Examining ethnic differences in high school students' substance use as related to resilience factors.
- Smith, J. E., & Meyers, R. J. (2010). Community reinforcement and family training (CRAFT) therapist coding manual [Individual session version]. Bloomington, IL: Lighthouse Institute.
- Smith, J. E., Lundy, S. L., & Gianini, L. (2007). Community reinforcement approach (CRA) and adolescent community reinforcement approach (A-CRA) therapist coding manual. Bloomington, IL: Chestnut Health Systems Press.
- Smith, J. E., & Meyers, R. J. (2004). Motivating substance abusers to enter treatment: Working with family members. New York: Guilford. [Note: translated into Finnish, German, Korean, Japanese]
- Meyers, R. J. & Smith, J. E. (1995). Clinical guide to alcohol treatment: The community reinforcement approach (211 pp). New York: Guilford. [Note: translated into German, Dutch]
Selected Articles in Refereed Journals:
Smith, J. E., Erickson, S. J., Austin, J. L., Winn, J. L., Lash, D. N., & Amrhein, P. C. (2016). Mother-daughter relationship quality and body image in preadolescent girls. Journal of Child and Family Studies.
Venner, K. L., Greenfield, B. L., Hagler, K. J., Simmons, J., Lupee, D., Homer, E., Yamutewa, Y., & Smith, J. E. (2016). Pilot outcome results of culturally-adapted evidence-based substance use disorder treatment with a Southwest Tribe. Addictive Behaviors Reports, 3, 21-27.
McLaughlin, E. A., Campos-Melady, M., Smith, J. E., Serier, K. N., Belon, K. E., Simmons, J. D., & Kelton, K. (2016). The role of familism in weight loss treatment for Mexican American women. Journal of Health Psychology, 1-14.
Heying, S. A., Witherington, D. C., Smith, J. E., & Gibbons, J. L. (2016). Posttraumatic distress and growth among Guatemalan war orphans in adulthood. International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation, 5, 18-33.
Stevens, C. J., Smith, J. E., & Bryan, A. D. (2016). A pilot study of women’s affective responses to common and uncommon forms of aerobic exercise. Psychology and Health, 31, 239-257.
Lash, D. N., Smith, J. E., & Rinehart, J. K. (2016). Can the theory of planned behavior predict dietary intention and future dieting in an ethnically diverse sample of overweight and obese veterans attending medical clinics. Appetite, 99, 185-192.
McLaughlin, E. A., Belon, K. E., Smith, J. E., & Erickson, S. J. (2015). Mothers’ and daughters’ beliefs about factors affecting preadolescent girls’ body satisfaction. Body Image, 13, 9-17.
Belon, K. E., McLaughlin, E. A., Smith, J. E., Bryan, A. D., Witkiewitz, K, Lash, D. N., & Winn, J. L. (2015). Testing the measurement invariance of the Eating Disorder Inventory in non-clinical samples of Hispanic and Caucasian women. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 48, 262-270.
Vigil, J. M., Strenth, C. R., Mueller, A. A., DiDomenico, J., Beltran, D. G., Coulombe, P., & Smith, J.E. (2015). The curse of curves: Sex differences in the associations between body shape and pain expression. Human Nature, 26, 235-254.
Meyers, R. J., Roozen, H. G., Smith, J. E., & Evans, B. E. (2014). Reasons for entering treatment reported by initially treatment-resistant patients with substance use disorders. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 43, 299-309.
Godley, S. R., Hunter, B. D., Fernandez-Artamendi, S., Smith, J. E., Meyers, R. J., & Godley, M. D. (2014). A comparison of treatment outcomes for Adolescent Community Reinforcement Approach participants with and without co-occurring problems. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 46, 463-471.
Smith, J. E., Gianini, L. M., Garner, B. R., Malek, K. L., & Godley, S. H. (2014). A behaviorally-anchored rating system to monitor treatment integrity for community clinicians using the Adolescent Community Reinforcement Approach. Journal of Child and Adolescent Substance Abuse, 23, 185-199.
Garner, B. R., Hunter, B. D., Smith, D. C., Smith, J. E., & Godley, M. D. (2014). The relationship between child maltreatment and substance abuse treatment outcomes among emerging adults and adolescents. Child Maltreatment, 19, 261-269.
Godley, S. H., Smith, J. E., Passetti, L. L., & Subramaniam, G. (2014). The adolescent community reinforcement approach (A-CRA) as a model paradigm for the management of adolescents with substance use disorders and co-occurring psychiatric disorders. Substance Abuse, 35, 352-363.
Austin, J. L., Smith, J. E., Gianini, L., & Campos-Melady, M. (2013). Attitudinal familism predicts weight management adherence in Mexican-American women. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 36, 259-269.
Manuel, J. K., Austin, J. L., Miller, W. R., McCrady, B. S., Tonigan, J. S., Meyers, R. J., Smith, J. E., & Bogenschutz, M. P. (2012). Community reinforcement and family training: A pilot comparison of group and self-directed delivery. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 43, 129-136.
Campos-Melady, M., & Smith, J. E. (2012). Memory associations between negative emotions and alcohol on the lexical decision task predict alcohol use in women. Addictive Behaviors, 37, 60-66.
Belon, K. E., Smith, J. E., Bryan. A. D., Lash, D. N., Winn, J. L., & Gianini, L. M. (2011). Measurement invariance of the Eating Attitudes Test-26 in Caucasian and Hispanic women. Eating Behaviors, 12, 317-320.
Godley, S. H., Garner, B. R., Smith, J. E., Meyers, R. J., & Godley, R. J. (2011). A large-scale dissemination and implementation model. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 18, 68-84.
Harriger, J. A., Calogero, R. M., Witherington, D. C., & Smith, J. E. (2010). Body size stereotyping and internalization of the thin ideal in preschool girls. Sex Roles, 63, 609-620.
Garner, B. R., Godley, S. H., Funk, R. R., Dennis, M.L., Smith, J. E., & Godley, M. D. (2009). Exposure to adolescent community reinforcement approach (A-CRA) treatment procedures as a mediator of the relationship between adolescent substance abuse treatment retention and outcome. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 36, 252-264.
PSY 335L: Clinical Psychology Lab
PSY 332: Abnormal Behavior
PSY 637: Empirically Supported Treatments
Current Graduate Student Lab Members
** Although I just took a new student for this year (Fall 2016), I will still go through all the files of applicants carefully in the hope that I will get to take a student this year as well (for Fall 2017).