Area Head: Health Psychology
- Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine
- Use and development of empirically-supported treatments for physical health conditions, such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Assessment measure development
- Effective and appropriate opioid and analgesic use for chronic pain
* Vowles, K. E., Witkiewitz, K., Levell, J., Sowden, G., & Ashworth, J. (in press). Are pain and distress reduction necessary? An analysis of within-treatment change trajectories in relation to improved functioning following interdisciplinary Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for chronic pain. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.
* Mansell, G. +, Hill, J. C., Main, C. J., van der Windt, D., & Vowles, K. E. (in press). Exploring what factors mediate treatment effect: Example of the STarT Back study high-risk intervention. Journal of Pain.
* McEntee, M. L.+, Vowles, K. E., & McCracken, L. M. (2016). Development of a chronic pain specific version of the Sickness Impact Profile. Health Psychology, 35, 228-237. Bailey,
* Pielech, M. +, Bailey, R. W. +, McEntee, M. L. +, Ashworth, J., Levell, J., Sowden, G., & Vowles, K. E. (2016). Preliminary evaluation of the Values Tracker: A two-item measure of engagement in valued activities in chronic pain. Behavior Modification, 40, 239-256.
* Bailey R. W. +, & Vowles, K. E. (2015). Chronic non-cancer pain and opioids: Risks, benefits, and the public health debate. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 46, 340-347.
* Witkiewitz, K., Vowles, K. E., McCallion, E.+, Frohe, T.+, Kirouac, M.+, & Maisto, S. A. (2015). Pain as a predictor of alcohol treatment outcomes in the COMBINE study and the United Kingdom Alcohol Treatment Trial. Addiction, 110, 1262-1271.
* Vowles, K. E., McEntee, M. L.+, Siyahhan Julnes, P.+, Frohe, T.+, Ney, J. P., & van der Goes, D. N.(2015). Rates of opioid misuse, abuse, and addiction in chronic pain: A systematic review and data synthesis. Pain, 156, 569-576.
* Main, C. J., Keefe, F. J., Jensen, M. P., Vlaeyen, J. W. S., & Vowles, K. E. (Eds.). (2014). Fordyce’s Behavioral Methods for Chronic Pain and Illness. New York: Walters-Kluwer.
* McCracken, L. M., & Vowles, K. E. (2014). Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and mindfulness for chronic pain: Model, process, and progress. American Psychologist, 69, 178-187.
+ indicates student author.
PSY 280: Health Psychology (Undergraduate)
PSY 450: Anxiety and Depression and Healthcare Settings (Undergraduate)
PSY 510: Advanced Health Psychology (Graduate)
PSY 514: Health Psychology Interventions (Graduate)
PSY 650: Clinical Behavior Analysis (Graduate)
- Extracurricular Activity: Behavior Analysis Reading Group (Graduate)
Current Graduate Students:
Mindy McEntee, MS
Robert Bailey, MS
Melissa Pielech, MA
Karlyn Edwards, BA
It is likely that I will be accepting a graduate student for the 2017-2018 school year