Ph.D., Stanford University, 1993
Office Location: Logan Hall Rm 160, UNM Main Campus, Office Hours Thursday, 11 am - noon
Phone: (505) 277-1967
Curriculum Vitae and Publications
Evolution and Development
- Evolutionary psychology, human nature, sexual selection, mutual mate choice, ovulatory cycle effects, mental fitness indicators (creativity, humor, art, music, moral virtues)
- Behavior genetics, psychometrics, individual differences, intelligence, personality traits, mental disorders
- Applied evolutionary psychology: Consumer behavior, market research, social media, smartphones, consulting, policy, popular science outreach
• Miller, G. F. (2000). The mating mind: How sexual choice shaped the evolution of human nature. NY: Doubleday [+ 12 other languages]
• Geher, G., & Miller, G. F. (Eds.). (2008). Mating intelligence: Sex, relationships, and the mind’s reproductive system. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
• Miller, G. F. (2009). Spent: Sex, evolution, and consumer behaviour. NY: Viking. [published in Britain as Must-have: The hidden instincts behind everything we buy; +6 other languages]
• Max. T., & Miller, G. (Sept. 15, 2015). Mate: Become the man women want. NY:Little, Brown, & Co.
Selected Recent Papers:
- Yeater, E. A., Miller, G. F., Rinehart, J. K., & Nason, E. (2012). Trauma and sex surveys meet minimal risk standards: Implications for Institutional Review Boards. Psychological Science, 23(7), 780-787.
- Miller, G. F. (2012). Sex, evolution, and marketing. EMBO Reports, 13(10), 880-884.
- Miller, G. F. (2012). The smartphone psychology manifesto. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 7(3), 221-237.
- Miller, G. F., Zhu, G., Wright, M. J., Hansell, N. K., & Martin, N. G. (2012). The heritability and genetic correlates of mobile phone use: A twin study of consumer behaviour. Twin Research and Human Genetics, 15(1), 97-106.
- Miller, G. F. (2013). Twenty-seven thoughts about multiple selves, sustainable consumption, and human evolution (pp. 27-35). In H. C. M. van Trijp (Ed.), Encouraging sustainable behavior: Psychology and the Environment. Oxford, U.K.: Psychology Press.
- Psych 105 FLC: Human Nature and Social Behavior
- Psych 231: Psychology of Human Sexuality
- Psych 342: Evolution, Brain, and Behavior
- Psych 450/650: Human Emotions
- Psych 450/650: Intelligence and Creativity
- Psych 499: Undergrad Research Experience
Current: Ruth Sarafin
Former: Laura Dane, Ilanit Tal, Annie Caldwell, Joshua Tybur, Yann Klimentidis, Gil Greengross, Chris Jenkins
If you are interested in applying to my lab group as a Ph.D. student:
I am looking for bright, motivated, conscientious students with very strong GRE scores (above 700), a strong commitment to a research career in evolutionary psychology, good research experience, and solid academic training in psychology, biology, and/or anthropology. Interested students should contact me directly by email.
Note: I might accept one new Ph.D. student for fall 2016; if interested, email me and apply by Dec. 2015. I will be away on sabbatical for all of 2016.