Ph.D., Stanford University, 1993
Office Location: Logan Hall Rm 160, UNM Main Campus, Office Hours Thursday, 11 am - noon
Phone: +1 (505) 277-1967
Curriculum Vitae and Publications
Key links • Blog: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/pleiotrope Upcoming Talks:
• Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/pleiotrope
• ResearchGate: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Geoffrey_Miller/
• Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Miller_(psychologist)
• Blog: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/pleiotrope
• Miller, G. F. (2000). The mating mind: How sexual choice shaped the evolution of human nature. NY: Doubleday [+ 12 other languages]
• Geher, G., & Miller, G. F. (Eds.). (2008). Mating intelligence: Sex, relationships, and the mind’s reproductive system. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
• Miller, G. F. (2009). Spent: Sex, evolution, and consumer behaviour. NY: Viking. [published in Britain as Must-have: The hidden instincts behind everything we buy; +6 other languages]
Selected Recent Papers:
• Yeater, E. A., Miller, G. F., Rinehart, J. K., & Nason, E. (2012). Trauma and sex surveys meet minimal risk standards: Implications for Institutional Review Boards. Psychological Science, 23(7), 780-787.
• Jung, K., Ruthruff, E., Tybur, J., Gaspelin, N., & Miller, G. (2012). Perception of facial attractiveness requires some attentional capacity: Implications for the “automaticity” of psychological adaptations. Evolution and Human Behavior, 33, 241-250.
• Miller, G. F. (2012). The smartphone psychology manifesto. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 7(3), 221-237.
• Miller, G. F., Zhu, G., Wright, M. J., Hansell, N. K., & Martin, N. G. (2012). The heritability and genetic correlates of mobile phone use: A twin study of consumer behaviour. Twin Research and Human Genetics, 15(1), 97-106.
• Zietsch, B. P., Miller, G. F., Bailey, J. M., & Martin, N. G. (2011). Female orgasm rates are largely independent of other traits: Implications for “female orgasmic disorder” and evolutionary theories of orgasm. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 8, 2305-2316.
Psych 342: Evolution, Brain, and Behavior
Psych 450/650: Human Emotions
Psych 499: Undergrad Research Experience
Current: Chris Jenkins
Former: Laura Dane, Ilanit Tal, Annie Caldwell, Joshua Tybur, Yann Klimentidis, Gil Greengross
If you are interested in applying to my lab group as a Ph.D. student:
I am looking for bright, motivated, conscientious students with very strong GRE scores (above 700), a strong commitment to a research career in evolutionary psychology, good research experience, and solid academic training in psychology, biology, and/or anthropology. Interested students should contact me directly by email.
Note: I might accept one new Ph.D. student for fall 2013; if interested, email me and apply by