Associate Professor, CBB Area Head
Associate Professor, Area Head Cognition, Brain & Behavior
Office Location: Logan Hall Rm 166
Phone: (505) 277-3060
Personal Website: http://www.unm.edu/~dahamilt
Lab Website: http://www.hamiltonlab.weebly.com
Curriculum Vitae and Publications
Cognition, Brain and Behavior
- Behavioral and neurobiological consequences of prenatal ethanol exposure
- Neurobiology of learning and memory
- Social behavior
- Spatial navigation
- Synaptic plasticity and structural plasticity
- Hamilton, D.A., Barto, D., Rodriguez, C.I., Magcalas, C., Fink, B.C., Rice, J.P., Bird, C.W., Davies, S., & Savage, D.D. (2014). Effects of moderate prenatal ethanol exposure and age on social behavior, spatial response perseveration errors and motor behavior. Behavioural Brain Research, 269, 44-54.
- Clark, B.J., Rice, J.P., Akers, K.G., Candelaria-Cook, F.T., Taube, J.S., & Hamilton, D.A. (2013). Lesions of the dorsal tegmental nuclei impair performance in cued, place, and directional variants of the Morris water task. Behavioral Neuroscience, 127, 566-581.
- Rice, J.P., Suggs, L.E., Candelaria-Cook, F.T., Akers, K.G. Lusk, A.V., Parker, M., Savage, D.D., & Hamilton, D.A. (2012). Effects of exposure to moderate levels of ethanol during prenatal brain development on dendritic length, branching, and spine density in the nucleus accumbens and dorsal striatum of adult rats. Alcohol, 46, 577-584.
- Knierim, J.J., & Hamilton, D.A. (2011). Framing spatial cognition: Neural representations of proximal and distal reference frames and their role in navigation. Physiological Reviews, 91, 1245-1279.
- Hamilton, D.A., Akers, K.G., Rice, J.P., Johnson, T.E., Candelaria-Cook, F.T., Maes, L.I., Rosenberg, M., Valenzuela, C.F., & Savage, D.D. (2010). Prenatal exposure to moderate levels of ethanol alters social behavior in adult rats: Relationship to structural plasticity and immediate early gene expression in frontal cortex. Behavioural Brain Research, 207, 290-304.
Psychology 240 : Brain and Behavior
Psychology 260 : Psychology of Learning and Memory
Psychology 347/547 : Drugs and Behavior
Psychology 540 : Biological Bases of Behavior
Clark Bird, Ph.D.
Spatial discrimination learning
Effects of fetal ethanol exposure on functional network connectivity
The role of glutamatergic receptors in frontal cortex function and related behaviors.
Likelihood of accepting a new graduate student for the Fall 2013 semester is medium. Good
GREs and academic performance are expected, however, greater emphasis is placed on
research experience, publications/presentations, and letters of reference.