Tenure Track Faculty
Posted: Nov 09, 2017 - 12:00am
Please visit the UNM employment website to apply for this position: https://unm.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=2606
The University of New Mexico (UNM) is currently seeking a dynamic, innovative, results-oriented, senior addiction scientist for the position of Director of the Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse and Addictions (CASAA), one of UNM’s premier strategic research centers. The selected candidate will report directly to the Vice President for Research (VPR), and will be a tenured faculty member of the College of Arts and Sciences.
Established in 1989, CASAA has developed an outstanding international reputation as a center for research on the epidemiology, prevention and treatment of alcohol and drug use disorders and the adverse consequences of use. CASAA’s 100 staff, faculty, and affiliated members have the mission of generating, conveying, and applying knowledge to reduce the suffering related to addiction. The annual collective funding of the center currently exceeds $5.5 million.
A full description of the current research of CASAA-affiliated faculty is available at http://casaa.unm.edu. CASAA investigators have cultivated relationships with federal funding agencies, creating close linkages that foster success in obtaining external research funding. CASAA also supports students at all levels in research and maintains an NIH Institutional Research Training Grant to support pre- and post-doctoral fellows. Finally, CASAA investigators support the research mission of the University through service on university-wide committees and by providing proposal-writing training through a formal annual seminar and individualized mentoring.
The University of New Mexico is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral/Highest Research Activity University, and is one of a few such universities that is also an Hispanic Serving Institution. UNM's eleven colleges and schools serve a diverse student population of over 26,000. UNM provides an excellent research environment and a unique demographic of superbly trained researchers.
CASAA’s work is multidisciplinary and includes collaborations with multiple UNM Main Campus and Health Sciences Center departments as well as with investigators at institutions throughout the US and internationally. The ability to navigate the intricacies of a complex institutional environment is critical.
The programmatic research focus of the successful candidate may deepen current areas of expertise or broaden the existing CASAA research portfolio. Departmental affiliation will be consistent with the candidate’s training and expertise; we envision that the successful candidate will have a record sufficient to merit appointment at the Associate or Full Professor rank.
The successful candidate will:
- Be responsible for the scientific leadership of CASAA as well as oversight of administrative and financial operations
- Prepare and implement a strategic vision and plan for CASAA
- Enhance CASAA’s portfolio of external funding by facilitating and catalyzing the acquisition of grants and contracts awarded to CASAA faculty and oversee the staff that ensures proper and efficient administration and execution of those grants and contracts as well as unfunded research
- Manage CASAA portfolio and activities
- Fully integrate CASAA’s research mission with graduate and undergraduate educational programs across UNM
- Establish active collaborative research partnerships both within the University (with other departments, centers and institutes) and with strategic partners outside the university
- Prepare, oversee and serve as the responsible agent for CASAA’s budget
- Provide monthly operational and planning reports to the VPR and biannual reports to CASAA’s internal and external advisory boards
- Establish a vibrant and well-funded collaborative research enterprise
- Assume limited departmental responsibilities in the candidate's home department
- Ph.D., M.D., DrPH (or comparable terminal degree) in a field relevant to addictions research
- Rank of Associate or Full Professor (or equivalent if not currently employed in an academic setting)
- Strong record of research productivity in the addictions area
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in a highly productive research setting
- Ability to articulate a vision for the future of addictions research and future directions for CASAA within that vision
- Record of substantial successful funded research in the addictions field
- Publication record commensurate with a senior scientist/faculty member
- Solid plans to continue to have an active program of research
- Record of successfully recruiting and mentoring investigators
- Record of successfully teaching and mentoring students
- Record of engagement with and leadership in the addictions field through, for example, editorial service, service on federal review committees, service on advisory panels or engagement with professional societies
- Demonstrated success working collaboratively in partnership with colleagues across disciplines and/or sites
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and student success, as well as, working with broadly diverse communities
- Cover letter that describes how your background has prepared you for the position and addresses the preferred qualifications
- Names, titles/affiliations, and contact information for five professional references
Questions regarding this recruitment may be submitted to: Emily Ballo, Strategic Support Manager, Search Coordinator Office of the Vice President for Research firstname.lastname@example.org - 505-277-0552
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
For best consideration, please apply by 12/15/2017. This position will remain open until filled.